Saturday, January 9, 2016

"Crossroads"

I received a lovely gift recently of Debora Stewart's art instruction book 
Debora is primarily a pastelist, who's works are vibrantly colorful.   
She loves plants and paints them in an abstract manner, 
and her strokes have a delightful abandon. 

This book has quite a few non-rep designs also, 
so I thought I would experiment with one of her suggestions.
Could I re-create one of her paintings with acrylic alone?
Could I figure out the same colors, even the feeling of texture without using pastel?

Well, there is a definite difference in application, texture and color,
and I could not achieve exactly what she was suggesting without the vibrancy of pastel. 
But I did enjoy painting what I titled "Debora's Crossroads", 
with it's cruciform design, layered texture 
and emphasis on complimentary colors.

"Debora's Crossroads"
5 x 5 Acrylic on Paper
NFS




I would certainly recommend Debora's book as she has included chapters on 
Loosening Up, Elements of Abstraction, Working with Acrylic Grounds and Mediums 
and Creating Underpaintings....all of which are very helpful if an artist wants to combine acrylic and pastel.  She also has a DVD available, all through Northlight Books and The Artist's Network.
"Abstract Art Painting, Expressions in Mixed Media".  by Debora Stewart


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


COMMENTS  are greatly appreciated!

Click HERE if you are reading this as an EMAIL
and it shall take you to my blog ONLINE  where you can leave a comment.


Online:  Click on 'COMMENT' below.
If you have a Google account you're already signed in.
If you are not a Google member simply choose either Name/URL or Anonymous. 
Note:  Comment doesn't show up immediately.

Also, I would LOVE it if you would 'like' my blog/art to FB and Pinterest.
Online, you can see the icons just below comments -
feel free to click on all of them!

Many thanks for your continued support - it means a lot!
Gillian


3 comments:

Sue Grilli said...

what a great idea to try to re-create another painting that has inspired you, yet do it in your own style. Love the colors you used here.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Gillian, once again I am drawn to your painting and to the content of your blog post. Thank you! Thus far in my short painting adventure I have mostly worked with acrylics and for the most part did representational paintings. Then, a few months ago I suddenly found myself playing with non-representational paintings and mixed media. Your work and your musings are such gifts to me, and I also thank you for the book recommendation. I've already put a hold on the book at my library. Gratefully, Dotty

Gillian St George - Painting with Passion said...

Thanks so much Sue & Dottie. I hope your own Challenge is going well for you. There are some great artists among us and I am inspired by all their creativity! Gillian

Harmonious Light Collection

"Harmonious Light" Collection by Gillian St George - Artist These past few months have been very productive for me...